Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bathroom sneak-peek.

New cabinet

Our contractor found some extra space in the wall and so we had a recessed cabinet made to match our vanity!  It's not exactly where I would have loved to have it (middle of the wall opposite the vanity), but in a 5 x 8 bathroom, where space is already at a premium, we'll take it! 


Herringbone tiled floor before grouting

In my dream bathroom, I would have hex tile.  However, it was not going to work in this bathroom for several reasons, so we did my next favorite thing... herringbone!  We had our tiler cut down our 12 x 24 tiles into 6 x 24 to make the pattern more obvious in a small space.  I love how it turned out, and I really love the radiant heating I had installed as a surprise for The Geek's birthday. 




New vanity with Carrara marble top and satin nickel fixtures

Our vanity was a steal.  I got it brand new off of Kijiji for $150.  The marble vanity top with undermount sink was on sale at Home Depot, and while I love the look of a vessel sink, we decided to be more practical for our family bathroom.  The Geek really loved these Ashfield widespread fixtures by Pfister, and although I really wanted a more traditional cross-handled faucet, I do like the vintage farmhouse charm of these ones.  We also purchased the tub/shower combo fixtures to match.




















3 x 6 white subway tile, glass mosaic accent and new window

I am so happy with the new tile!  The mosaic tile is a blend of glass and carrara marble, but I made a major mistake when it came to the grouting.  These photos are pre-grout, and while I did want a dark grout for easier maintenance, and to define the subway tile more, I didn't remember that the grout lines would be around every single little square in the mosaic.  Unfortunately this darkened up the accent tile, which I will show in later photos, and while it still looks fantastic, it's not quite what I had in mind.  Live and learn I guess!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait for the final reveal! I love all the materials you've chosen. And herringbone floor? *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails